Saturday, February 7, 2009

I Admit It...I'm A Book Junkie

For most people a bookstore is just another store that happens to be filled with books. For me, it's a sanctuary. There's something terribly exciting about being surrounded by all that knowledge. If there's anyplace I can surely get lost in time and space, it's at a bookstore. After a couple of hours of browsing, I'm compelled to quickly make a decision on which book or books to purchase before my husband has to propel me toward the doorway sometime before the bookstore closes its doors and shoves me out on my ears.

For me, a bookstore has always been a welcoming, inviting place to hang out. At first I find myself browsing the new releases and eventually end up in various areas, not necessarily searching for anything specific, but searching nonetheless. I'm simply compelled to look at, and ultimately admire, books. And it's quite amazing how certain books seem to call out to me as if they silently communicate a message they unknowingly sense I need at that time of my life.

The library has much the same effect, minus the smell of freshly brewed Starbuck's coffee. I can spend hours browsing the library's shelves and seldom do I leave with less than 4 or 5 books on several subjects. Funny, I seldom read each book cover to cover, but I always end up with many books. Much like a child in a candy store, I can't make up my mind. I want them all.

They are so much more than bound covers and words between pages! Books have indeed become an integral part of my life, much like my best friends. Since I'm always looking for answers, I'm always looking to expand my knowledge to share with others. Books provide both. Of course, they're also a great escape and an excellent source of entertainment.

My life-long goal has been to be one of the inspiring authors who grace the shelves of the bookstores I frequent. It's not an easy road, to be sure, but a road worth traveling. There's simply something magical that transpires between an author and a reader and my deepest desire is to be among those who make a lasting impression upon my readers and to leave my words behind long after I'm gone. It's a legacy I look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment