Thursday, February 5, 2009

Left Brain vs. Right Brain

When you walk into a room, what do you see? Do your eyes sweep the room, taking everything in at once? Or do you look at each element and pick out the details? Do you study shapes and sizes of objects? Are you fascinated by the textures and colors of nature? Or would you rather figure out the most efficient way to balance your checkbook? How you answer these questions may determine if you are right or left brain dominated.

At times I'm convinced that I'm a left-brain individual. I tend to be analytical, logical and detail-oriented. But then again, I can also be intuitive, impetuous, artistic and creative, all of which are right-brain characteristics. I'd always been interested in this fascinating part of being human. In fact, last year my two hemispheres had their own discussion about it without my knowledge. Here's the dialog of the left and right sides of my brain:

Left brain: "Look what time it is! We've got to get back to work."
Right brain: "Leave me alone. I'm reading."
Left brain: "But I'm bored. Oh, wow! Look at that snow! I bet there's at least six inches on the ground. It'll take us at least an hour to get home. Then we have to make dinner, wash dishes, make lunch for tomorrow, take a shower and..."
Right brain: "Stop distracting me! Can't you tell I'm busy? Get a life, will ya? We've only got 45 minutes left of this hour, thanks to you and your distractions!!"
Left brain: "Ok. I'll think about something else. I should have gotten gas yesterday. This morning it was 25 cents more. I'd give anything to have the gas prices of 1972. Gosh, I miss 1972. Life was much easier back in '72."
Right brain: "Bob Seger wrote a song about 1972. I miss it too…life was easier. Hey, maybe I should write a book about owning a 1964 Beetle in which the heater never, ever worked and the necessity of always keeping a blanket wrapped around your legs. Hmmmm, winter, car, skating, being a kid. You go ahead and worry. You do it enough for the both of us anyway. I'll just keeping traveling down memory lane. I'd rather go there than back to work anyway."

Forty-five minutes later, left brain goes back upstairs, sits at the desk, and starts working, while right brain is silently planning the next story idea and admiring all the colorful trees on the path down memory lane when suddenly, it sees a bear on a deserted country road while thunder rumbles in the distance…

No comments:

Post a Comment